The Chateau de la Chesnaie is located in the commune of Basse Goulaine. It was rebuilt in the 19th century in the typical style of the Renaissance. This architecture was reiterated in many buildings like the Dobree Museum in Nantes and the Chateau de Briace at Landreau.
The walls, built out of the schist rock of the Nantes countryside can give an austere character but openings are embellished with ornate sculptures made of tuffeau stone.
|The Chereau family in the Muscadet area have been traced back to 1412 originally in the Monnieres commune where a large number of wine growers still carry the Chereau name.
After the second world war changes in commerce created opportunities notably in wine growing. Because of this Monsieur Chereau senior decided to create his own business in Muscadet and based it on the family vineyard. At the beginning of the 1950s a possibility arose for Monsieur Chereau to enlarge his holding by buying other vineyards, the most notable being Chateau de Chasseloir in 1953. His marriage with Mademoiselle Edmonde Carre brought further impetus with the addition of the vineyards of Chateau l’Oiseliniere.
In 1960 Monsieur Chereau created the new company of Chereau Carre in order to distinguish it from other growers with the Chereau name. It settled itself at Saint Fiacre sur Maine in the heart of the property of Chateau de Chasseloir where the construction started of the first part of the present day buildings (see photo).
During the 1960s and 70s Monsieur Chereau continued to develop and market the wine of Muscadet in France especially in the region of Paris.
The wine Muscadet Sevre et Maine sur Lie, little known at that time took its place in the numerous brasseries and restaurants of repute in the capital city.
The success of this commercialisation of the Muscadet sur lie in bottle enabled the wine syndicate and the National Institute of Appellation d’Origine to define the rules of the vinification of the sur lie formally in 1977.
The commercial values of the house of Chereau-Carre have always remained faithful to its past : the promotion of the best sur lie Muscadets in the restaurant and specialist wine outlets sectors.
This same thinking has enabled the placing of the wines into a great many distributors importing across the world who have become as partners and with whom we have mutual trust and confidence.
His son Bernard entered the company at the start of 1982 and it was on his arrival that the export market developped, notably in Great Britain, Asia and North America. Since 2003 he now heads the whole enterprise.